The William MacIntosh Motor Lodge is named in memory of one of the Scottish founders of the town Kincraig, later renamed Naracoorte (from the Aboriginal… "Nara-Coota)
MacIntosh arrived here in 1845 from Kincraig, Scotland and opened a hotel and store where the Naracoorte Hotel and Eudunda Farmers Store now stand. He had the township surveyed on his own land – section 5, in the County of Robe – and he named the main street after the early pastoralists Ormerod, Smith and Robertson, and his partner Duncan McRae.
He later acquired grazing properties, including Naracoorte Station (situated near the Motel on the north-western side of Naracoorte Creek Bride) as well as Moy Hall, Crower, Mt Scott and Bakers Range Stations.
Towards the end of the century, he suffered losses partly as a result of recurring droughts, and he returned to Naracoorte to carry on business as an agent. He lived in the house built by Aitchison Grieve which can be seen in the early prints which hung in the Motel Restaurant.
MacIntosh grew old as a genteel and dignified man, well loved by the community which he founded. It is said that his pet swan sometimes accompanied him on his walks around town.
He died in Naracoorte in 1905 at the age of 86, survived by his six daughters and leaving behind him many reminders of his productive life.
These include the MacIntosh Squares in the centre of the town, the land on which the Presbyterian Church is built, and the church bell, all of which he donated. He is remembered by a beautiful stained-glass window at the head of the church.